Friday, December 2, 2011

Man Cave View of the Minors

As a displaced Pittsburgh Penguins fan currently on the wrong side of the state dealing with a high percentage of Flyers fans, I have found a bastion hockey sanity in Mohegan Sun Arena home of the Penguins AHL affiliate the Wilkes-Barre Scranton Penguins.

Upon moving here I made the decision to buy a small season ticket package, and being the lucky guy that I am my girlfriend is a hockey fan so I met minimal resistance. I have found that occasionally the WBS Pens have dollar dog and draft nights in what is becoming one of my favorite promotions.

It doesn't get much better than hot dogs, beer and hockey and all at a budget friendly price. I know that the quality of play isn't quite NHL level, but it is literally the next best thing. It is a great way to leave that man cave and still have all the comforts of home short of you favorite couch or recliner.

This got me to thinking about my own feelings toward the minor leagues.

Now I will be the first to tell you that Calder Cups and AA baseball championships don't mean anything unless it translates to success at the highest level. Case in point, the Hershey Bears contend for Calder Cups year in and year out but the Washington Capitals have struggled as a playoff team. However I am very much a proponent of going to minor league games and supporting these teams despite what some might say.

One reason has already been stated above, other than the Pittsburgh Pirates, what major league team has dollar dog and draft nights. Another reason is to see some of the up and coming talent on your favorite teams even if it means sifting through some really bad players. I have had the good fortune of seeing some really good hockey players this season in Wilkes-Barre that are currently or have seen time on the big club.

Minor league games also have a certain intimate feel that is just lacking from professional games. I enjoy both atmospheres, but they are definitely different. As I was writing this I couldn't help but think of this song by Alabama and someone was so kind as to have already put it into a baseball tribute video for me.

Cheap Seats by Alabama

Now although this song gives light to the mentality of a minor league town the Man Cave takes issue with a few points. First of all I would never recommend drinking beer flat as can be that in no way is how my man cave operates and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone else. When it comes to hot dogs you can top them with mustard, relish, ketchup, onions, chili, cheese, and as a shout out to Daddy's a fine eatery in Clarion, Pa. nacho chips. We don't care how you like your dogs.

The past two summers I have had the pleasure of joining my friend Chris on one of the coolest ventures I had ever heard of, the minor league baseball trip. It is a week of baseball in different towns each day and it is interesting not only to watch baseball which is always a good day, but also to see how each town or city puts its mark on the team.

I may not be able to tell you the record of the minor league teams that I watch because I don't think that matters but I root for them when I go to the game and love watching the boys play. The experience of seeing the game live is worth it even if the teams I'm watching aren't so good.

I know that some people will turn their noses up at my enjoyment of watching minor leaguers play, but I have to say that the times in the stands at minor league games are almost as enjoyable as watching the pros.

The Man Cave supports minor league sports, the farm hands, and all those people that fill the stands for the guys still trying to make the big league. Oh yea and dollar dogs and drafts we support that too. Give a comment shout out if you live in a minor league city or have a favorite minor league team.



1 comment:

  1. I like what you've got going on here Craiger. Shout out from Hershey!

    ReplyDelete