Saturday, December 31, 2011

Man Cave Good Eats 1st Edition

Well the Man Cave is back in action as the New Year is rolling ever closer. I have resolved to post more often because it's been a while.

Anyway, now to what this particular post is all about: good food. My New Year's was spent with my friend Steve and his family in Somersworth, NH. Somersworth is a nice town nestled along the state's border with Maine and has easy access to the Maine coast, as well as New Hampshire's White Mountains.

I felt like it would be impossible to travel to New England and not have a shot at some really fresh seafood. It didn't take long at all for Steve to confirm that by suggesting that we do a late lunch at the local seafood place, Newick's Lobster House in Dover, NH.

I had been warned that it didn't look like much, and that it might even remind me of a cafeteria. Honestly that was the case, but I learned quickly not to judge a book by its cover. The atmosphere was nice for the five of us to sit down, but I wouldn't necessarily recommend it for a romantic date.

In true Man Cave fashion, I noticed a nice selection of craft beers on their menu, which is a bonus. I decided to order the local brew which was the Shipyard Prelude.The beer was a dark amber ale and had a very full nutty flavor and a hoppy finish. It would rank a four out of five on my beer scale. Shipyard Brewery is in Portland, ME and is on my list of places to visit the next time I visit Steve.

Now the beer alone would not be enough to get this joint a blog post. Really, it all comes down to what the food is like and this place hit the mark. I have eaten lobster, but I have never had the money or the desire to eat a whole lobster. With Christmas cash in hand, and the lobsters being local and therefore cheaper, I went head first into eating whole lobsters. I ordered a pair of one pound lobsters and it cost me less than one pound of lobster would at the Red Lobster in Wilkes-Barre.

When my plate came out it was a gorgeous sight to see, and honestly I was so hungry I didn't get a picture of the initial serving. Things I need to remember for future reference. I wasn't entirely sure how to attack the two lobsters in front of me, but what I lacked in knowledge I made up for in gusto, diving in. I tore at claw and tail alike munching on absolutely delicious lobster. Not only was the lobster good, but I also thoroughly enjoyed the coleslaw and french fries that came along with it.

The carnage below is all that was left after I had finished all the food and drink that was laid in front of me. 


Now it is easy to say that messing up lobster is hard, but I wasn't the only one who went home happy. My girlfriend also had a great meal, enjoying a mountain of fried bay scallops and clam strips. All that seafood and a great pint of beer ran the pair of us about $50; did I mention I got two pounds of lobster?

So, a special shout out goes to Newick's for being the first place to get tagged in the Man Cave Hall of Good Eats. Here is the link to Newick's so you can check out their other locations and the menu.

No comments:

Post a Comment